the scoop

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." ~Aristotle

Monday, August 8, 2011

reTREAT!!!!!!!!!!


I am writing this in a lovely room in another state.

I am here, alone. For three days.

I am incredibly happy.

My husband recognized my need for some time to myself. Not just a "go to Starbucks and get yourself a coffee" kind of alone time, but uninterrupted, nearly silent, do-what-I-want-whenever time. A monastery would be heavenly, but this place will do nicely.

I call it a DOME.  Don Oxygen Mask Escape. I need this; I need to recharge, refresh, re-examine.

I like that "dome"
sounds like "om."
If you know me (and if you don't, why are you here, exactly?), you'll know I can't possibly leave the house without some paper and books ... this retreat is not all lying about and eating Andes candies, thoughtfully placed by "Nancy," my housekeeper. In fact, it's a respite from the last few months, but it's also an opportunity to clear the clutter in my mind, so I can tackle the clutter at the house. Reorganize my priorities so I can keep my eyes on my goals every day. Spend some quality time calling out to God, with the actual time and silence to LISTEN, LISTEN, LISTEN.

So, I have a schedule. I made it myself. And I'm allowed to stray from it, though I probably won't.

All I wanted to say is - I'm here, I'm refreshing, I hope to be a better everything when I return (and a little less of some things).

Thank all of you for supporting our family, and encouraging me.  Thank you, neighbors, for looking out for Ian and the kiddos while I take this completely selfish and necessary excursion.  Thank you, God, for the incredible blessings in our lives, and that You care for me, as I cast my cares on You.

Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy! So happy you got away. Praying for refreshment and new perspective. xoxo

    ReplyDelete