the scoop

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." ~Aristotle

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Count Your Blessings

I truly meant to list my blessings ... things I'm thankful for... and perhaps make a daily habit of it for the month of November.  A post a day.  Or maybe note something each day and then post one big list at the end of November.  In truth, I have, for years, planned on making a thankful tree, with leaves on which we, as a family, can write our blessings and things we're thankful for, on a daily basis.

Charming idea, isn't it?  The best laid plans...

Alas, another year has passed without the creation of the above monument to thankfulness.  Maybe next year.  For now, just a moment to pause and give thanks:
  • I am thankful for my family.  The family tree.  Including the nuts (if you are reading this, no, you are NOT one of the nuts.  Trust me).  The leaves are few but beautiful, and some have fallen this season. 
  • I am thankful for the blessings of a lovely home, cracked plaster and all. 
  • I am thankful to live in a country where dissent and worship are freely practiced. 
  • I am thankful for my friends, of all types, areas, levels ... I am thankful for this season of life - as frustrating as it is at times, I have two young children and that will never happen again. 
  • I am thankful -- exceedingly thankful -- for the good health of my husband.
  • I am thankful for God's grace - that it is available each day, new every morning.  I'm thankful that I get a daily do-over ... for my entire life.  I SO need that.
Anyway.  That's a short list.  And yours is probably similar.  And that's for a reason; the most important things aren't really things.  And you know that, too.  It's just good to get it in writing sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment